[LCA2019 Chat] Mr Non White Guy for the Open Hardware Miniconf

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Fri Jan 11 16:08:03 AEDT 2019

I'm probably pouring some fuel on the flames here, but with 10 days left
in the chair, I'm going to take that risk.

The Open Hardware Miniconf, with the full backing of Linux Australia,
and LCA2019, is attempting to improve the diversity and inclusivity of
open hardware hacking in Australia and New Zealand. Less than one in 5
people in a technical role in Australia identifies as female / nonbinary
and the statistics are even poorer for ethnic, especially Indigenous,
diversity. Diversity and inclusion is hard. We don't always get it
right. But as an organisation, a community, we are taking small steps to
engender (pun intended) change.

If this makes you uncomfortable, well, frankly, good. The fact that
we're mostly lily-white and male *should* make us uncomfortable.
Australia and New Zealand are multicultural, ethnically, socially and
gender-diverse countries, and our membership - and, importantly -
representation and participation - should be more reflective of that.

If anyone has an issue with the way OHMC are handling this, they are
welcome to take it up with me personally in Christchurch week after next.

Right now, Andy, Jon and their invisible but incredibly valued team of
helpers are doing Some Amazing Things to bring you a kick-ass 10th
Anniversary OHMC. Let's give them the space they need to keep on
delivering incredible, inspirational and aspirational experiences that
are helping Australia and New Zealand become open source leaders.

Kind regards,

Kathy

--
Kathy Reid