[LCA2019 Chat] Keeping the same Linux Conf Wifi password

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat Jan 26 14:47:27 AEDT 2019

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:58:48AM +1100, Steve Walsh wrote:
> Hi Marc
>
> I was hoping to catch up with you and discuss the issues around open wifi
> for the conference and the need to rotate every year, but it slipped my mind
> when we caught up at the conference dinner.

No worries.

> If you're happy to wait until next year to discuss, please find me at
> GC2020, otherwise reach out to me off-list and I'll try to lay it all out in
> an email to explain, but it's a complex issue that kind of needs several
> historical things about the way the technologically enlightened AU
> government has handled the growth and use of the internet understood to put
> the reasons into context.

Note that I'm not worried about past but only future. Maybe past reasons
have or will expire?

That said, if it's not going to change for $REASONS, you can totally
tell me next time. But yeah, it would be nice if it could be simplified.
For what it's worth I got google to use the same encryption password on
the googleguestpsk wifi worldwide because at the end of the day there
weren't good reasons not to, and it sure was simpler to be able to roam
between locations without changing your password every time.
That included the Oz and NZ offices, although I don't claim to konw the
local laws, regulations, or challenges.

Either way, great to see you again and thanks for your reply.

Marc
--
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08