[LCA2019 Chat] Mr Non White Guy for the Open Hardware Miniconf

Wes Cilldhaire wes at sol1.com.au
Sat Jan 12 11:23:57 AEDT 2019

----- On 11 Jan, 2019, at 10:14 PM, Rashmica Gupta rashmicy at gmail.com wrote:

> The first announcement did say "So this year we are asking that our valued,
> keen, but highly over-represented male attendees patiently wait until Thursday,
> 10th January 2019 before registering."

It did also later constrain the time Thursday somewhat by saying both 'evening' and that there would be an announcement to officially open it:

"We’ll send another email on Thursday evening to open up registrations for everyone."

I can totally understand why people would be upset by being caught out by this miscommunication when they feel they were just trying to do the right thing and respect the efforts of the OHMC team.
I hope they continue these efforts in the future, though formalizing the process and being a little more explicit with the opening times when communicating that process would probably help a lot.

(null)