[LCA2019 Chat] Matrix at LCA2019: registering with NickServ

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Jan 21 14:13:52 AEDT 2019

Dear conferencers,

A couple of you reported problems registering your nickname with
NickServ through Matrix, and subsequently not being able to join the
IRC channel via the bridge.

This is due to a bug,¹ which is being worked on. A workaround seems
to be to

  1. Start the chat with @freenode_NickServ:matrix.org
  2. Wait until the bot joins the room
  3. Wait another minute
  4. Then send "help register"

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've updated the wiki page at
https://2019.linux.conf.au/wiki/Chat_%26_discussions#Join_the_conference_channel_.23linux.conf.au:matrix.org
accordingly.

Note that you may first want to talk to @appservice-irc:matrix.org
and choose a nickname. A good convention is to append [m] to your
regular nickname, e.g. for me, that would be: !nick madduck[m]

¹) https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/issues/718

--
@martinkrafft | https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net

suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress.
But I repeat myself.
                                                       -- mark twain

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net