[LCA2019 Chat] Drones is the south island

Mike Beattie mike at ethernal.org
Fri Jan 18 21:24:51 AEDT 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 09:08:11PM +1100, Alastair D'Silva wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was contemplating bringing my quad down since we'll be touring the south
> island post conference Is it just me, or are the drone regs in NZ heavily
> fractured, laborious and confusing? We're seriously considering not bringing
> it due to the amount of paperwork involved, and the need to know in advance
> what walks etc we will be doing.

You cannot fly drones on DoC land (most of the walks you're talking about)
without a concession, which are not quick to obtain, and also not free.

Drone usage over public land requires approval from the local governing
body, see: https://www.airshare.co.nz/

Over private land requires permission from the land owner.

Inside controlled airspace requires permission from the appropriate ATC
unit (airshare will help with this).

Operation near airports (within 4km) require NOTAMs to be filed.

That's the summary from the top of my head, I am happy to be corrected.

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike at ethernal.org>