[LCA2019 Chat] Lightning talks

Andy Gelme geekscape at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:26:52 AEDT 2019

hi Simon Lyall,

On 18/1/19 06:18, Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019, martin f krafft wrote:
>> also sprach Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> [2019-01-17 22:34 +1300]:
>>> is there a signup process for lightning talks announced yet? If
>>> there was, I'd totally do that thing.
>>
>> You'll have to wait for this to happen on-site.
>
> Lessons could perhaps be learnt from the signups for the Hardware
> Miniconf

Your request to give a lightning talk at the Open Hardware
Mini-Conference has been accepted.

Title: "How the Open Hardware organizers can do much better, including
registration sign-up, Call for Presentations and Lightning talks"

I'd highly recommend that discussing the problems and providing some
practical solutions as part of your talk would be great !

The OHMC lightning talks run from 4:40 pm to 5:30 pm.  Will 5 minutes be
enough ... or would you like 10 minutes ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In all seriousness ... after we've fallen across the line on Monday at
5:30 pm (we'll be a little tired by then) ... please feel welcome to
catch up with me (and Jon) and share your thoughts and *some solutions*
about your perceptions of what we need to improve and how.  Even if we
get nothing else right, we do try our best to listen to positive
critique and suggestions.

I've found the Linux Conference organizers and attendees to be fantastic
people who tend to offer *real* help when they see someone else (like
us) needs it.  Over the last 9 years and including 2019, we've had
countless contributors, helpers and suggestions that have lifted us
across the line.  And the OHMC attendees take the workshop as it comes
and makes the most of it ... including our (not great) lightning talk
process, which is mostly done informally, on-the-day.

Note: Our wiki and registration process includes information about CfP
and Lightning talks ...
    http://www.openhardwareconf.org/wiki/OHMC2019#Lightning_Talks

To all those organizing a Mini-Conference this year ... best of luck !
See you on the other side :)

regards andyg