[LCA2019 Chat] online chat

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Jan 18 05:25:32 AEDT 2019

also sprach Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz> [2019-01-17 20:20 +1300]:
>Hmm... Not sure I really see any benefit to using the Matrix if
>I still have to register to IRC, might as well just use IRC direct...

If your use-case is only LCA, then indeed. Matrix does give you
mobile access to IRC, with a Free client and protocol, vs. IRCcloud,
which is proprietary (and requires Google Cloud Messaging).

However, Matrix is awesome beyond LCA, and you could consider this
a great opportunity to get connected to this protocol. Yes, it's Yet
Another App/Messenger¹, but it's Free, and a massive improvement
over XMPP, to the point where it is cutting edge. And in fact, e2e
encryption in Matrix is the most advanced in the industry, no other
player has multi-device double-ratchets.

¹) https://twitter.com/actuallyalice/status/990889721525161986

--
@martinkrafft | https://riot.im/app/#/room/#madduck:madduck.net

"they redundantly repeated themselves over and over,
 incessantly without end and ad infinitum"
                                                             -- ibid

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net