[LCA2019 Chat] temperature in the conference

John Carter john.carter at taitradio.com
Tue Jan 15 10:34:48 AEDT 2019

Careful, this is how we get climate change deniers....

..scientific imprecision uttered so often that nobody is aware that it is
wrong...

I'd point at NOAA but Trump has closed it down for now.. anyway this will
do...

https://www.eldoradoweather.com/climate/world-maps/world-ozone.html

See. NZ has a thicker ozone layer than most of the world.

Less thick than Northern Europe, but substantially thicker than Australia,
Africa most of Latin America....

But somehow it has entered the culture that NZ has an Ozone hole.

No it hasn't.

Antarctica has.

I think the "You get sunburnt in NZ" trope has emerged from a couple of
things...

* Outdoors here is sufficiently nice, people spend more time in it.
* People from Northern Europe come to NZ and get singed... but somehow the
rest of the world doesn't exist in our consciousness.
* People get to a couple of 1000m above sea level in the Alps for the first
time in their existence, and then get burnt.
* After spending a  cold wet winter indoors... pasty whites with zero tans
emerge blinking into the sunlight and get scorched.
* On some, very rare occasions, in the past, the antarctic ozone hole has
wobbled sufficiently far off centre to  affect NZ.

ie. If you're from Africa or Australia... and don't go up to the Alps...
the UV hazard will actually be less here than back home.

--
John Carter
Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639

--
This Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the

basis of the terms set out at www.taitradio.com/email_disclaimer
<http://www.taitradio.com/email_disclaimer>