[LCA2019 Chat] Schedule for social events?

Ewen McNeill lca2019 at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Mon Jan 14 17:41:17 AEDT 2019

On 2019-01-14 19:17, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> Specifically, does anyone know what times the various events start in
> the evening, and what time people need to leave site to make it to those
> events?

In practice those evening events (Tue/Wed/Thu, depending on ticket type;
Monday for AGM) generally start around 18:00 (6pm), or involve transport
(eg, buses) that people need to be on around then.  So there's often not
much time from the close of the last "day" session (17:30) until (some)
people need to be on their way to an event.

The AGM (Monday) I suspect is relatively short (an hour or so?) so it
might be possible to have something after that, at least if it were
hosted at a dorm venue rather than the main University campus (I don't
know when we'll be encouraged out of the main campus, but some years
it's been fairly early).

Tuesday is the (main conference programme only) Speaker's dinner, so
will have the fewest people with conflicts of Tue/Wed/Thu.  Wednesday
(PDNS) may well have a "Unprofessional DNS" community organised along
side it, but the schedule tends to be a bit more flexible for those.
Thursday is the main conference dinner, which I suspect will have the
most conference attendees of the Tue/Wed/Thu days; and it's also later
in the week when people are less likely to want to add more "BoFs" into
their day.

The other common BoF approach if you are trying not to conflict with any
other sessions is to go for a lunchtime option (either at a lunch venue,
or somewhere for half of lunchtime), or a morning/afternoon tea.

Hope that helps,

Ewen