[LCA2019 Chat] Stopping somewhere during the Tranzalpine Journey?

Carl Klitscher carl.klitscher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:28:14 AEDT 2019

Otira and Arthurs Pass are mandatory stops on the route to attach and
detach the banking engines used to get through the Otira Tunnel... 8.5 km
long running under the spine of the southern Alps... And they don't let you
stand in the observation car going through it either!

Used to have its own power station to run the electric engines but the
switch to diesel required the installation of a door at one end that closes
after the train goes through... The vacuum created then forces air past the
train so you don't all die from diesel fumes :-)

Last time I went through the local kea kept dive bombing the train staff as
they attached the engines at Arthurs Pass... Common working hazard
apparently!

More at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otira_Tunnel for any train geeks...