[LCA2019 Chat] Stopping somewhere during the Tranzalpine Journey?

Mike Beattie mike at ethernal.org
Mon Jan 14 13:28:36 AEDT 2019

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 05:56:29PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Thanks all for the answers

> Several votes for Arthur's Pass. I think most people were saying that
> it'w worth doing as a day trip, and basically get out at Arthur's Pass,
> at 10:52, do stuff around there until 16:27 when the train comes back
> (apparently make sure it's booked or it won't stop), giving me 5h30
> there, which is a good amount.
>
> Some of you said missing Arthur's Pass to Greymouth (2h20 or so) is
> unfortunate, but not essential. Is that correct?

Are you going for the train trip, or to get to Arthurs Pass?

Honestly, I personally couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck at
Arthurs Pass for 5.5 hours - take the train through to Greymouth and enjoy
the scenery, I hear some of the best bits are on the western side of Arthurs
Pass. (I don't know if it goes past the Otira Viaduct, but that's impressive
to see, if you like engineering)

Basically, the train ride is a destination unto itself. the Carriages have
very large viewing windows for that very reason.

That said, if you specifically want to go to Arthurs Pass for walks or
something, do that - but from memory last time I went through by road,
there's not much else to do other than walks/hikes, and have an expensive
coffee.

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <mike at ethernal.org>