[LCA2019 Chat] [Brian May] Bus from airport

Lisa Sands deputy at lca2019.org
Mon Jan 14 09:48:48 AEDT 2019

Also if you are coming internationally to the airport from Australia
most flight don't get in until around midnight and the last bus from the
airport that goes past the University leaves Monday to Friday at 11:07
pm Saturday at 11:37 pm and Sunday at 10:37 pm.

So you will need to look at other ways to get to the university if you
are arriving after these times.

And yes, when we say dairy we mean corner store!

On 2019-01-14 11:29, Steven Ellis wrote:

> In addition a lot of places who do take PayWave don't take Apple/Google payment.
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 11:19, Eion Robb <eion at robbmob.com> wrote:
>
> As a Kiwi, can confirm. Credit cards can be optional depending on where you go, but it's normally a smaller store (like a corner store/dairy) that won't support credit cards. 90% of places that support credit card will only support Visa and Mastercard.
>
> In addition to that, a shop can accept credit cards, but not have paywave, so wont work with NFC payment solutions such as Google/Apple Pay - only magstrip/chip cards
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 11:11, Andrew Donnellan <andrew at donnellan.id.au> wrote:
>
> On Mon., 14 Jan. 2019, 02:50 Uday <saiudayshankar at gmail.com wrote:
> I am a village idiot and survived Tassie trecks with Google pay. As long as EFT POS are available, I think I should do fine.
>
> Note for Aussies who haven't been to NZ before: having "EFTPOS", in New Zealand, can mean strictly the local New Zealand EFTPOS interbank network. It does not imply acceptance of at least Visa and MasterCard credit cards in addition to an EFTPOS bank card as "EFTPOS" does in Australia.
>
> The vast majority of places that tourists will care about accept Visa/MasterCard these days, but you will still *occasionally* run into a store that has an EFTPOS terminal at the register but doesn't take credit cards, so be aware of that before you try to buy something and have no way to pay. Having a little bit of cash doesn't hurt.
>
> (Kiwis feel free to correct me here, but I was in CHC two months ago and still ran into one shop that didn't take credit card...)
>
> Andrew
>
> Looking forward for LCA and getting to meet awesome crowd.
>
> Cheers
> Uday
>
> On Sun., 13 Jan. 2019, 4:52 pm Ross Drummond <ross at drummond.co.nz wrote:
>
> My NZ bank card works in AU so I cant see why the reverse does not apply to the NZ ATM's atirport.
>
> Here is a quick equivalence guide for AU --> NZ banks
>
> Westpac and ANZ are the same on both sides of the ditch.
>
> NAB = Bank of New Zealand(BNZ)
>
> Commonwealth Bank = ASB
>
> On 13.01.2019 02:24, Brian May wrote:
>
> Lets see if this works from my Debian email address...
>
> Hello,
>
> Thinking of getting a bus from the airport. To me it looks like it is not possible to purchase the Metrocard before arriving at the airport, which means I will need to pay the driver in NZD.
>
> Which in turn means I should have NZD cash. However I only have AUD cash. What is the best place to get NZD? Maybe ATM at Christchurch airport?
>
> Thanks?

Chat mailing list
Chat at lists.lca2019.linux.org.au
Chat mailing list
Chat at lists.lca2019.linux.org.au

--

Steven Ellis

APAC PRINCIPAL PRODUCT MANAGER - STORAGE

TECHNICAL PORTFOLIO EVANGELIST - APAC

Red Hat Asia Pacific - Auckland NZ [2]

sellis at redhat.com M: +64 21 321 673 [3] TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. [4]

--