[LCA2019 Chat] [Brian May] Bus from airport

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Mon Jan 14 09:10:36 AEDT 2019

On Mon., 14 Jan. 2019, 02:50 Uday <saiudayshankar at gmail.com wrote:

> I am a village idiot and survived Tassie trecks with Google pay. As long
> as EFT POS are available, I think I should do fine.

Note for Aussies who haven't been to NZ before: having "EFTPOS", in New
Zealand, can mean strictly the local New Zealand EFTPOS interbank network.
It does not imply acceptance of at least Visa and MasterCard credit cards
in addition to an EFTPOS bank card as "EFTPOS" does in Australia.

The vast majority of places that tourists will care about accept
Visa/MasterCard these days, but you will still *occasionally* run into a
store that has an EFTPOS terminal at the register but doesn't take credit
cards, so be aware of that before you try to buy something and have no way
to pay. Having a little bit of cash doesn't hurt.

(Kiwis feel free to correct me here, but I was in CHC two months ago and
still ran into one shop that didn't take credit card...)

Andrew