[LCA2019 Chat] Bring your reusable shopping bags

Ewen McNeill lca2019 at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sat Jan 12 19:03:40 AEDT 2019

As a reminder to visitors from outside New Zealand: as of 2019-01-01
most of the major supermarkets have stopped providing single use
(plastic) shopping bags at the counters, eg,

https://www.newworld.co.nz/about-us/were-single-use-plastic-bag-free-from-1-january-2019/
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/08/pak-nsave-new-world-four-square-liquorland-to-ban-plastic-bags-in-2019.html

So they're expecting that either you're only buying 1-2 items and can
carry them in your hands, or that you'll bring your own reusable
shopping bags.  (Most of them currently have prominently displayed
multi-use shopping bags for sale too, since this is a pretty new change
of policy....)

Off the top of my head this is standard in, at least some Australian
cities, and a bunch of other places outside New Zealand.  So I expect
many of you are used to this practice.

But I thought it was worth a reminder, as it's perhaps not the first
thing that comes to mind to pack for international travel :-)

Ewen