[LCA2019 Chat] Outstanding talks feedback

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Mon Feb 4 08:29:33 AEDT 2019

The Tragedy of systemd
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/156/
Benno is always opinionated, and always tells you why.
+1
fav quote: Unix is dead.
"dead" is not well defined, but in this context it gives the right message:
Linux has enough mass/space to warrant breaking rank.
I for one welcome our new overlords and look forward to the future.

*The Value of an Apology*
*Jen Zajac*
https://2019.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/239/
Jen talks about more than just Linus' apology - I would say it uses it as a
case study and how other communities behave.
"...this matters even if you're not a kernel dev."
I hope it helps people be a bit more understanding and compassionate to
each other.
quoting The Tragedy of systemd: "it didn't deserve death threats."
I hope Jen does this kind of talk every year, as long as people continue to
be (insert sad adjective) ... /me crys

Right to Not Broadcast
Karen Sandler
https://2019.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/125/
"...our most personal data is often being broadcast by default, sometimes
without appropriate security measures and without an off switch. "
As a consumer, I, me, Carl, have this insane delusional trust that the
manufactures are trying to do the right thing.  If I am this dumb, everyone
needs to listen to Karen.