[LCA2019 Chat] Outstanding talks feedback

Paul Foxworthy paul at cohsoft.com.au
Sun Feb 3 23:59:58 AEDT 2019

Hi Martin,

Highlights for me were:

Taking Technology To The Birds
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/100/
A personal bias here - I am involved in a wildlife project gathering data
on microbats. Using AI to analyse our data would definitely be useful.

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that": Ethics in Software Development
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/117/
A thoughtful discussion of an issue we pay too little attention to, even in
the community oriented open source world.

Sequencing DNA with Linux Cores and Nanopores
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/133/
The most memorable talk of the entire conference for me. David Eccles put
yesterday's lunch through a DNA sequencer. By the end of the talk, he had
matched a gene sequence with an online catalogue to discover there was a
tomato gene in his sample.

The Robots Won't Take Away Our Jobs — Let's Reframe the Debate on
Artificial Intelligence
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/137/
Again, a talk on the human dimensions of our technology. Thanks Martin.

The Kernel Report
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/146/
I always enjoy Jonathan's report. This year he spent time on how the
"contribute upstream" message is starting to sink in at Google and Android.
His discussion of the new Code of Conduct for Linux kernel developers was
perceptive and might have got those who think they are against it to think
again.

The Tragedy of systemd
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/156/
Benno is always opinionated, and always tells you why. His talk in the dev
miniconf was good value too.

Overall, the talks on community and the human impact of technology, and of
the application of open source to other fields were interesting and I
encourage the papers committee to welcome those as well as straight tech
talks.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--